COVID-19 Update on Re-Gathering
May 20, 2020
With input and information gathered from our government, news, state and national church offices, our congregants and other congregations, the Elders and Pastors recently discussed our re-gathering plan. We are as exhausted of this issue as you are, but recognize this is a complex issue with vastly varying opinions and approaches.
We did our best to form a plan based on the majority of our Eldership’s guidance. Therefore, we decided to begin gathering in our Growth Groups before we resume in-person Sunday Worship Services on June 28.To read more about how we hope to restart our groups, please read our “Covid-19 Group Guide” here: https://firstchurchtallmadge.com/covid19-updates#text-3729109
We Ask for Your Patience, Prayers and Support
I do not want Covid-19 to cause our or any congregation to crumble because of the difficult decisions we now face. I acknowledge some will view our plan as too cautious while others will believe it is not cautious enough. The truth is, no clear path or precedent exists. Our culture is deeply divided over this issue and we live in a polarizing time. I want us to be countercultural and move forward in unity—even if it doesn’t look like uniformity on all issues of re-gathering. Remember, this too shall pass and it will bring God glory for his people to stay unified at a time when others aren’t.
Our Mission Remains the Same
Let us remember it is still our mission to ensure everyone
Lives with Purpose,
and Spreads God’s Love.
I Challenge You
Do not give up on our mission because it’s difficult. Let’s resolve to continue making disciples and making Jesus the Subject in the midst of our challenges. We don’t have to wait—we can still carry out our mission, especially with today’s technology. We can still share the gospel and introduce people to the Knowledge of God. We can still invite friends, family and neighbors to Belong to our church or group and experience the joy of Christian fellowship. We can still think about our Purpose in life and the brevity of it. We can still Spread God’s love!
Our Re-gathering Plan
- Encourage Growth Group Leaders to read through our Covid-19 Group Guide and put a plan together for their group.
- Re-gather on Sunday mornings tentatively set for June 28.
- Devise a policy for Sunday Worship Services, which will be released before we gather on June 28. You will have an opportunity to read through the policy before deciding to gather in person.
What We Are Doing Right Now
- Helping people in need with our Coronavirus Response Funds. If you or someone you know has been affected by the pandemic, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also support our efforts by donating to the CoronavirusResponse Fund online.
- Supporting and funneling people who need help with food JoAnn’s Pantry and the Brechmacher House.
- Hosting a Baccalaureate/Graduation Ceremony for our congregation’s graduates on June 7 at 2 p.m. (Look for details soon!)
- Helping with childcare needs for working parents left without options because of daycares shutting down. Contact us if you or someone you know needs help.
- Providing online services via our Facebook page and Youtube channel.
- Working to update our video ministry.
- Ensuring our shut-ins and those in nursing homes are contacted.
- Finding creative ways to connect with the youth and children.
How You Can Support Our Church
- Let us know about any needs or prayer requests you or someone else has. You can do this here.
- Consider rejoining your group or leading a group.
- Tune into our online services through Facebook, Youtube, our website or podcast.
- Share our services and content on your social media to encourage others to view.
- Pray for the Pastors and Elders as we continue to re-evaluate policies and ministry going forward.
Thank you for your continued prayers, patience and giving. We are encouraged by the graciousness and support we witness from so many people who belong to First Church. Let’s continue on until everyone comes to Know God, Belong, Live with Purpose and Spread God’s Love!
Jesus is the subject,